Wednesday 16 September 2009

Film director Chan-Wook Park, photographed by Steffan Hill

I shot this for the Daily Telegraph, as usual I had only 15 minutes tagged on the end of an interview. It was taken in The Dorchester Hotel, in London, he didn't speak a word of english, and my korean is not up to much either but with various had signals we managed to communicate enough.

I used to dread photographing in the Dorchester as the decor is really fussy and chintzy, not at all modern and photogenic, so any shoot I did there tended to be lit quite dramatically, to hide the surroundings.

I had been told he had just directed a very violent new thriller which everyone was raving about, called 'Oldboy', so I knew I wanted something looking a bit sinister, which I think I got. As usual I had only about 30 mins during the interview to set up, and I decided on a couple of very different shots to give the picture desk some choice, but this one was by far the best.

One light outside in the corridor and one inside on the floor looking up. To my great shame, it took a few years before I got round to watching 'Oldboy', as it's a fantastic movie, really really original, if you have not seen it I recommend you watch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment