Monday 28 September 2009

Film Director John Woo photographed by Steffan Hill

This is quite an old shot of John Woo, taken in 1997. It was for the release of 'Face/Off' the movie with John Travolta and Nicolas Cage.

I knew he was a huge director in Asia, but I had only seen 'Broken Arrow' up to this point. I was given a brief description of his new movie by the picture desk and was told it was about two people stealing each other's identity's, by literally implanting the others face's on their own head. (Ha!) but I was not looking forward to the shoot as it was in the Dorchester again, my old friend.

I think that's why I lit the shot like this, to again try and hide the ghastly decor in the hotel room. There was a large mirror at one end so I asked him to stand next to it to get a double image. He was a very friendly chap, and was only too pleased to do what was asked of him during our usual 10 minute session. I must admit that was what I loved about my time working for the Daily Telegraph, they always gave me free reign to do what ever I liked.

The film turned out to be a bit silly really, a little OTT, but no where near as bad as his later film 'Windtalkers' which was quite possibly the worst war film I have ever seen! I think he should stick to gangster action films!



No comments:

Post a Comment